What are neurologic toxicities?
Neurologic toxicities are serious and life-threatening side effects that affect the body’s nervous system. They may make you feel confused or unlike yourself. In some cases, they can be severe or cause death. Always let your healthcare team know how you are feeling so they can treat this and other side effects.
When can it happen?
Neurologic toxicities can happen anytime after the infusion. However, the exact timing of when they can happen varies between CAR T cell therapies. Your healthcare team would monitor you throughout this time, but it’s important to track your symptoms regularly.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms may include:
- Confusion, disorientation, not knowing where or who you are
- Difficulty speaking or finding words
- Decreased alertness, drowsiness, or difficulty waking up
- Suddenly becoming weaker or unsteady when walking
- Tremors (fine shaking of hands or feet)
- Memory loss
- Personality changes
- Difficulty writing
- Call your doctor or get emergency help right away if you experience any of these or other symptoms.
Symptom tracking and side effect monitoring can be found in our Resources.