What is an infection?
An infection is the invasion and growth of germs in the body. It can begin anywhere in the body. Serious, life-threatening, or fatal infections can occur after CAR T cell therapy.
When can an infection happen?
An infection can happen anytime after the infusion. However, the exact timing of when it can happen varies between CAR T cell therapies. Your healthcare team would monitor you throughout this time, but it’s important to track your symptoms regularly.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms may include:
- Fever (100.4ºF/38.0ºC or higher)
- Sore throat
- Cough, or chest or sinus congestion
- Lower back pain, blood in urine, or a burning sensation while urinating
- Abdominal pain, vomiting, or diarrhea/loose stools
- Sores or white patches in your mouth
- Being unable to eat or drink for 24 hours
- Call your doctor or get emergency help right away if you experience any of these or other symptoms.
Symptom tracking and side effect monitoring can be found in our Resources.